(this is from a book the inpatient gave me when i was there last. I found it really helpful as i actually have a lot of these thought distortions regularly)
"… A common thought distortion involves "Black and White thinking," where you classify your circumstances as either "good" or "bad," "always" and "never," and the like.
For example, a person receives a poor performance evaluation at work. They conclude “I’m a total failure,” and their mood plummets.
A closer analysis reveals that they have had several positive job evaluations and success experiences at work. When they challenge and correct their “Black-and-White thinking” it leads to a distinct improvement in their mood!
Examples of other common thought distortions include:
- Mind Reading: This is when you “assume” another person is responding in a negative way toward you without checking it out with them.
- Over-generalization: This involves taking one or two bad experiences, and concluding that it affects “everything”, or it is “always” going to be that way.
- Mental Filtering: You mentally “screen out” the positives, and focus your attention on just the negative aspects of the situation.
- Fortune Telling: Anticipating that things will turn out badly ahead of time, then feeling and acting “as if” they have already turned out that way.
- Jumping to Conclusions: Immediately interpreting your situation negatively, in spite of any actual evidence to support your beliefs.
- Disqualifying the Positive: Rejecting any positive experiences, insisting they “don’t matter”, and holding onto negative beliefs even if contradicted by the facts.
- Magnification or Minimization: Exaggerating the importance of some things (such as your mistakes) and mentally minimizing your or other’s qualities.
- Emotional Reasoning: Assuming that because you “feel” something, that’s the way things actually are. Or using your feelings to confirm the “truth” of your thoughts and beliefs.
- Personalizing: Seeing yourself as the blame for something that’s outside your control, or assuming someone else’s issues are “all about me”.
Thought Distortions twist your thinking, leading to very stressful consequences and feelings. You can untwist your thoughts by identifying and correcting them, and your emotions will follow!”
I couldn’t resist the urge any longer and made a Bucky Captain America manip.
I follow the right amount of people where I see no actual drama on my dash but I see everyone talking about it
Coriolanus by William Shakespeare - Donmar Warehouse 2014 production, dir. Josie Rourke, with Tom Hiddleston as Coriolanus
10 Magical Pebble Paths That Flow Like Rivers
The garden or back-yard is one of the best places in a home for the home-owner to express their creative side. Why surround all those beautiful plants with an ugly path when you can create a creative stone garden path that looks like a work of art? We collected this list to show you what a well-done pebble garden path can look like.
River stones and pebbles worked really well for the projects in these pictures, but just about any stone can work as long as you can think of a cool design with it and turn it into a stable path.
You can pretty much do whatever you want with these (as long as you’re not selling them, please)
If you’re interested, I’ve got them available in my RedBubble shop
Shoutout to khannemara for the idea!
[EDIT: I fixed the star, it was a bit uneven in the original]
And this could be right out of Public Relations Nightmare, huh, zooeyscigar?
so in totally irrelevant but still hilarious news
justin bieber left a comment on marina and the diamonds’ “primadonna” music video today
My cat is broken. He meows for a bath every night and when I put him in he flops down and sleeps.
look at my little bastard. look at how happy he fucking is in my sink.